9/23/2007

Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely is the story of a girl who can see faeries. Not shiny, happy, sparkly, petal-wearing fairies—scary ones. Thus the spelling: fairy = Tinkerbell, faery = awesome. And of course, by awesome I mean, you know. Frightening.

Aislinn (That’s the girl’s name. Coincidentally, it is also my name. It’s pronounced Ash-lin, not Ah-is-lin, or Ay-es-lin, or Bill, or however one chooses to butcher it.) catches the eye of a faery named Keenan, who turns out to be something called the Summer King. This makes him an important person (or faerie). He’s also kind of a jerk. Keenan has been searching for a bride for nine centuries (faeries are immortal, if you were wondering) and thinks that Aislinn may be the one. I won’t go into all the details, but, basically, Aislinn is given a choice: become a Summer Girl (one of many simpering idiots who die if they go too far from Keenan), or take a test. Obviously, I’m not talking about a math test. It’s a magical test. You know, like slaying a dragon or pulling a sword out of a stone (though slaying a dragon is more about brute strength and/or battle prowess). If Aislinn passes, she becomes the Summer Queen, Keenan’s bride (also, a curse gets broken and some other stuff happens, but I won’t go into that). If she fails, she becomes the Winter Girl, forced to endure constant cold and bound to serve the Winter Queen (who is evil, of course). And no, I’m not going to tell you what the test is. You’ll have to read the book. It isn’t slaying a dragon, though.

Anyhow, while all this is going on, Aislinn is getting into a romantic entanglement with a boy named Seth. Unlike Keenan, Seth is wonderful. He is also mine—sorry, Avery dear. Seth lives in a train car. And has tattoos. And a snake. Also, he’s hot. And did I mention mine?

Wicked Lovely is Melissa Marr’s first novel, and she had better write more now, because it is most absolutely utterly wonderful fantabulous. It starts out a little slow, with a scene that is supposed to introduce you to the concept of faeries and the fact that Aislinn can see them. But Aislinn’s fear at seeing them seems a bit forced—she’s been seeing them all her life, and you’d figure she’d be used to it. The book recovers quickly, though, and has very few weak moments after that. There were some times when I wanted to scream at the characters because they were making bad decisions and don’t be stupid and ack don’t do that you idiot because can’t you see that other thing? But I’m not sure that this is bad. I scream at characters a lot, see.
I give this book 4.5 daggers out of 5.





Sincerely, book-reviewingly, Seth-kidnappingly, faery-lovingly yours,





Faeries have been a part of my life (self? soul?) since I was very, very young. Because of this, I just happen to have an affinity for books about them. Often, I will be excited about a book on the subject of faeries, only to be monumentally disappointed. Fortunately, however, this was not so with Melissa Marr's 'Wicked Lovely'.

The book, as Aislinn (Nyx, not the main character) stated, began shakily with an awkward "I see fairies" scene. It recovered quickly, plunging the reader into an epic clash between winter and summer, love and obligation, mortal and faery. You know... everything that my daily life would be if it weren't... normal.

One thing that I really loved about this book was its love story. The high ranking fae creature verses the best friend is a common love conflict/scenario, popular among many fantasy writers. The great thing about Wicked Lovely is that Marr took a common theme and made it original and complex. And entirely awesome.

(And actually, Aislinn darling, Seth is not yours. He may not be mine, but if I can not have him, neither can you. So there.)

All in all, Wicked Lovely was, well... lovely.
I pierce the icy heart of the Winter Queen with four and a half daggers.





Fae at heart...

8 comments:

Melissa Marr said...

*big smile* It's always fun to read thoughts of the people I actually wrote the book for . . .

Thanks for posting it.

Melissa

stormywriting said...

I like this review! I run a WL fansite, Wickedlovely.com, would it be OK if I used this on our reviews page? With a link back, of course.

--Maria

Yours Truly said...

I think that would be okay (read: fantabulous) but I should check with the other 2 evil cousins.

-- Aislinn Ai

Yours Truly said...

... the Others have informed me that I was stupid and didn't need to ask. So, um, if you read this... that would be great.

--Aislinn Ai

Anonymous said...

Because you guys told me too, and I'm a very impressionable young woman, I decided to read this book, and for that I thank you.

I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself thinking about Aislinn days later wondering what she was up to. How’s that for a relatable character!

Samuel said...

Hi cousins! My name is Samuel – I'm from Australia. I stumbled across your blog and think it's great! I have a similar thing going with my blog (samuelsreadingchair.blogspot.com) and I also recently reviewed Wicked Lovely. You can check out my review if you like. It's been good to read yours – since Wicked Lovely is aimed at girls, it's good to get an idea of the female perspective on it.

I'd like to put a link to your blog on my blog – is that OK?

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank the evil cousins! A while ago I ran across the website and decided to read one of the books that scored high.

At random I chose Wicked Lovely and now I suffer from an addiction to all stories about faeries.

Thank you so much! Any other recommendations? (I've already red every Melissa Marr and Holly Black book :p)

Yours Truly said...

I would highly recommend 'Twilight' if you haven't read it already. I will soon be posting a review up of 'Twilight'. Today or tomorrow.

--Twyla Lee