9/26/2008

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the heir to a multi-multi-multi-million-dollar criminal empire that has been in his family for centuries. He has a genius IQ and a deadly bodyguard. He also has a mission- to ambush a leprechaun and get the pot of gold, per se, not that he really needs it. He has all the information he needs. His plan is foolproof. Or is it? Artemis gets more than he’s bargained for when his diminutive victim turns out to be Captain Holly Short, of the fairy police organization. Suddenly, instead of a quiet capture and ransom demand, the entire fairy world is informed of the operation, and the LEP (fairy police squad) invades Fowl Manor to get Holly back. Artemis, his bodyguard Butler, and Butler’s younger sister Juliet are pitted against the LEP, including such individuals as the geeky, paranoid centaur Foaly and the dominating, stinky-cigar-smoking Commander Root.

This book has all the elements of good fiction- an exciting plot, unexpected twists, and especially, characters so realistic you feel like they’re sitting next to you on the sofa as you’re reading. I especially enjoyed the way the story is written from multiple points of view. It allows you to see everything at once. Sometimes you know more than the characters do, which makes everything that much more interesting when they finally figure it out. Plus, it makes it harder to be biased towards one character, which I think helps me see the story a little better. Another aspect I liked was the way Artemis has a trick up his sleeve that is not revealed until the end, when you’re absolutely sure there’s no possible way he can win. It makes for an exciting climax.

Overall, an excellent work of sci-fantasy. This book is vivid, exciting, fast-paced, and even a little thought-provoking. I give it the full 5 daggers.


Yours,
Tay

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Eoin Colfer.

said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
said...

T__T' I despise Artemis Fowl. Advanced technological fairies and young geniuses just isn't my type of story I suppose.

Tom Carroll said...

I am reading this book right now and I must confess that at the beginning I wasn't buying into Artemis being so, well ... Fowl. But the more I get into it, the more I like it. I'll post again when I'm done.

Tay Darramont said...

Actually, when I first read this book several years ago, I didn't like it either. But when I picked it up again, I found myself enjoying it, and I am now a huge fan. =)

Toxin said...

Artemis Fowl is amazing.